Monday, September 5, 2016

Manicure Monday: Shades of Grey

It's been a few days since August ended and I was not able to share with you guys last month's NOTDs. Better late than never, right? So, I would like to share with you guys my NOTDs for the month of August.

The past year, I've been really in to grey nail polishes. There's something about grey that makes it look classy and in the past few weeks, I've been searching for the perfect shade of grey to suit my skin tone. Unfortunately, the only accessible (and within budget) store to me is Watson's. Don't get me wrong though - Watson's is the best place on earth for budget beauty enthusiasts like me but this particular branch might be the smallest one I've ever been too, in short, they didn't have a large collection of nail polishes. They carried the typical cheap variants, which I totally love to loot, but the said variants do not have my perfect shade of grey. Still, a happy ending though, since I loved the polishes that I bought.

I got a total of four polishes (which seems a bit much for a month, since they are all from the same family shade), and like I've said earlier, I loved them all but half of me thinks that I should have just spent that money on a pricier variant of polish which carries the grey I was looking for.




First, I got a Bobbie Nail Creme in the shade Cafe, which was totally not grey but they are from the same family of shade I guess (I swear they looked grey in the store). This is actually more of a mocha/brown/grey combination (heck it was named "cafe"-should have figured that out in the store before I bought it). I still loved it though. The brush was so easy to work with (a big relief when you've been using a sucky nail polish brush for a few weeks, but I'll get to that later). And I did notice that it lasted longer than the other brands I used (well it is quite a bit on the pricier side for a drugstore polish at PhP.48.00).



Next, I got two from Chic Nail Color. First is from their Kath-Queen collection in the shade Empress. It totally looked a light shade of grey, even when I applied it. Only when I saw my nails under the sun did I notice that it's actually more of a periwinkle blue. Although it wasn't grey, I loved it and I still do. I think it looked good on my skin tone. The second one is from the Glaze collection in the shade Ash. I didn't exactly love the shade but it's not bad at all. I would still use the bottle till it dries up but I definitely won't be repurchasing. All Chic Nail Colors cost PhP.33.00. Chic Nail Colors do offer a wide selection of shades and colors and they have a few different collections but I am not loving their brush. It's too thin for my liking, comparable to Caronia brushes, but unlike the Caronia ones, Chic brushes get dried up so easily that I have a hard time applying the polish. The first few uses would go smoothly, but after a few tries, it gets a bit stiff.



The last nail polish I got was from OMG (Oh My Girl) and it's the first time I came across this new packaging of theirs (I know what a few of you might be thinking - have I been living under a rock?) Anyway, I don't know if their formulation is different from before but their polishes went up by PhP.10 from PhP.23 before. I don't know about you guys, but I want to buy my products for the product itself and not because they have cute packaging. Obviously, cute packaging is a big plus, but if a product is expensive BECAUSE they just have to have a cute packaging, that's a big disappointment for me. Anyway, I'm not really sure if OMG products did increase because they had better formulation or what. I loved this shade (Ashley) though, but I'm not too sure if I would be repurchasing this again after finishing up the bottle since I find that the formula dries out faster than the Chic Nail Colors (quick dry is good for my nails, but not on the longevity of the product.) 

That is it guys for this month's NOTDs. I still am on a quest to find the perfect shade of grey, and I might just try out the pricier brands to find the ONE. Any suggestions which counter I should go to? Please do comment below your favorite shades of nail polish - I'd love to find new shades to try. xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment