Thursday, January 5, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge

I have officially failed at my 2016 Reading Challenge. By October I knew I was gonna fail, so I stopped trying. The thing was, I didn't really have a good enough excuse why I failed to finish the challenge: it wasn't the amount, for sure, since I listed about an average of one book per week so that's pretty much 'realistic'. I think the real culprit was just me and my overthinking. Last year was quite a challenge and it took me away from the things that I love (and that sure includes reading).

So 2017 is a good enough start (I'm working on my second book this year, though the first two aren't really in my reading list, but it's a good start) and I want to share with you my own Reading Challenge for myself.

This year's list is inspired by something I've seen on the internet. One day I was struck by the fact that I stuck with YA books last year and while there's nothing wrong with the genre, I just wanted something that will challenge my intellect. Part of my goal in 2017 is to focus on developing my mind and reading up on books that are far from my genre comfort zone is one way to do just that. I came across a list of Top 25 books that will blow your mind and was a little bit sad that I've only read one of the books on their list. So this year I wanted my mind blown. Sadly, I was only able to get a copy of 19 out of the 25 books in the list, which for me was quite a low number for a reading challenge so I added a few books of my own.

(Updated April 6, 2017)
  1. 1984 by George Orwell
  2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  3. Neuromancer by William Gibson
  4. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  5. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  6. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote 
  7. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  8. The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
  9. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
  10. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  11. Think Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
  12. The Stranger by Alber Camus
  13. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
  14. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
  15. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
  16. Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
  17. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
  18. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  19. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  20. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
  21. Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco
  22. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
  23. The Light in the Wound by Christine Brae
  24. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  25. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
*Titles in bold are already read. :)

Follow me on Instagram and Goodreads for more updates! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment