Tuesday, October 4, 2016

RYOB Challenge: September Update

I'm doing really bad on this challenge, I know.

This month on my RYOB Challenge, I've manage to get just one book of my list. I have valid excuses though: exams and schoolwork and vacation (I have loads of other hobbies I worked on - like sleeping). Still, it makes me a bit sad to know that I wouldn't be able to win this challenge. I have a few months to go though so I'd probably get through a few books more before waving the white flag.

Anyway, so the lone book I've managed to read is Rick Riordan's Mark of Athena, the third book in the Blood of Olympus series. Part of the reason I was only able to read one PHYSICAL book this month is that I had to reread the Percy Jackson series and the first two books in the Blood of Olympus before I started on Mark of Athena. I've had to review the books because it was a long time ago when I read them and if you're also a fan of Rick Riordan's works, you'd know that each book is so action-packed. Even now that I've just reread them, I have a hard time recalling which events happened when. Not complaining though - I'm a big big fan of Rick Riordan and mythology in general.





"Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy - after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera -  it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close- the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare...."

My take on Mark of Athena: 
For me, this book started a bit slow. It took me a while before the book captured me completely - you know when you just start reading a line or two and suddenly you're in a different place? I'd be honest and say that this particular book didn't capture me as much as I expected - only on certain parts but mostly I was just ready to get it over with. 

I love that Percy and Annabeth are now back together. The two being apart makes me uneasy, really (I get to involved with the characters, forgive me, lol.) The group of seven demigods had quite a few adventures and I loved seeing that from the point of view of different characters: Leo, Piper, Annabeth, and Percy. 

I'm quite biased though because I'm a huge fan of mythology as I've stated earlier. Greek and Roman gods fascinate me and I love how Riordan made each of the characters in the book. If you are a big in of mythology like me, you'd enjoy learning from Riordan's works - he portrays each character, God, demigod, mortal, or monster, in such a way that you can understand where they're coming from. The demigod's adventures will keep you on your toes of that I'm sure.

There are quite a few things about their adventures that made me raise my eyebrows though. First, there were quite a few instances where it seemed that they were doomed but they always get away unscathed. I personally don't like killing of characters but without deaths, it just seem a bit boring since you'd know they'd always survive (thank you George R.R. Martin). Second, the characters seem to be extremes in the brain department: geniuses at some points, but complete idiots at some. (Spoiler alert!) I would like to point out the instance when they save Annabeth from Arachne. If your lives are in danger you have to keep moving. You have to always be alert and even though you need to catch up with each other's stories - the first thing that you should do is to get in a secure and safe place. Which is exactly why the whole Annabeth and Percy falls into Tartarus event annoys me. Anyway, if the two didn't fall into Tartarus, they wouldn't be able to have the chance to close the Doors of Death from both sides. Still - that part was quite stupid for me. No offense, it's just my own honest opinion. I still love the series though.

So that is it for this month's Read your own book challenge update. Follow me on instagram and goodreads for more updates! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment