Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Product Review: Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation, Primer and Pressed Powder

Coverage is a big deal for me and if you're a makeup enthusiast like me, you'd know how important coverage is. That's why standards are set high for products that are dedicated to this - from foundations to BB creams to CC creams to tinted moisturizers, you name it;  there's much research to perfect this make up "base". As a girl with oily skin this comes extra hard for me for I not only need to cover up, I also need to keep shine away from my face. That's why I thank the heavens for these lovely products.



I bought these products as a set from YourMakeUpStorePH last November. It includes Rimmel Kate Moss in shade 11 (which is a dark shade of red, in short, not for summer) and it cost me PhP. 1399 + shipping. I think that I got a bargain with this purchase (about PhP.350 per product) since they cost around 400 each on their own. 

The first product that I've used in this set is the Pressed Powder which I got in the shade 001 (Transparent).

I'm the kind of girl that wants to be really shine free, and with other powders I'd get a bit of shine after 2-3 hours (if I didn't sweat through the makeup first). I was quite impressed when I first used this as a setting powder for I didn't feel the need to pile on as much powder as I normally would (which is good for my budget too since this pressed powder is worth WAY more than I usually spend on powders).

"Up to 5 hours natural shine control with natural minerals. Helps minimize the appearance of pores. Dermatologically tested."

 I couldn't personally attest the 5 hours natural shine control that this product promises when used on its own, but when I used with my former favorite foundation which is the Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation with Maybelline Baby Skin as primer, it did a really good job in keeping my face shine free. There are a few things I don't love about this though: the packaging is not good for travel and there were quite a few instances when it opened inside my bag, it's not good for retouch since it has the tendency to be cakey, and it's quite expensive compared to other pressed powders I've used.



The Rimmel Stay Matte Primer is the first creamy primer that I've used (I've mainly used silicon-based ones) and I love that it is very light on the skin, it does a great job in keeping my makeup intact, and is oil-free. 


"Skin-perfecting primer can be worn alone, under makeup or on top to create a perfect matte complexion. Controls shine for up to 8 hours. Ultra lightweight and helps minimize the appearance of pores."
 I've never worn this alone but I have tried putting this over makeup and to be honest, I did not think it helped with the retouch and I did feel uncomfortable wearing it over makeup (maybe it was the dewiness over powder? IDK). But I will give it another go in the future (if I remember to), maybe it was just the humid weather at the time.


The Liquid Mousse Foundation in the shade 201 (Classic Beige) surprised me with its consistency when I first used it. Like I've mentioned earlier, I've been using Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation as everyday makeup before and that was definitely more "liquidy" than this. This liquid foundation is more on the "moussey" side and I had a difficult time blending the product unto my face the first time I used it.


"Feather-light, liquid mousse blends flawlessly for natural-looking, all day shine control. Silky smooth formula leaves a perfectly matte, baby-soft finish. Lightweight texture won't feel heavy or greasy."
This foundation has medium coverage and it's not buildable I'm afraid (formula gets too cakey). Medium coverage works fine for me though and it does deliver on its promise of "lightweight texture". I did feel a tiny bit of dewyness (just enough to not completely dry my skin out) but this, I believe, is the oily girl's best friend. 

When I first used these three products as a set (last December), I was a bit disappointed with them since my makeup got cakey. I stopped using them altogether aside from the pressed powder (which I really, really loved) and occasionally using the primer.

About a month ago though, I decided to give it another try since I was running low on my current foundation. This time though, after using the primer, I gave the foundation time to warm up (meaning I squeezed some product on the back of my left hand and used the fingers on my right to rub the foundation back and forth and then dabbed the product onto my skin) and proceeded to do my eye makeup (eye liner, eyebrows and mascara) and lipstick first then proceeded to setting my makeup with the pressed powder. I was so surprised (and relieved and happy) that my makeup turned out flawlessly - no cakeyness at all! I recommend the use of the "warming up" trick on thick foundations and concealers for better blending as I'm not into using brush or sponge in applying foundation since, for me, it takes to much time (I'm just used to using my fingers for that job). 

Anyway, with that trick, I've learned that Rimmel Stay Matte really does a good job in keeping my face matte. I was able to put this to test when we joined the Black Friday and Easter Sunday processions during the Holy Week and I was just so impressed! The Black Friday Procession was preceded by a mass at around 3:00 and I had my face done around 2:00 PM. It was a super hot and humid day (around 37 degrees I think) and although the sun was down by the time the procession started at around 5:30 PM, it was still so hot. The procession ended at around 7:30 and I was covered with sweat by the time we got home at around 8:30 and I was really surprised that after a VERY hot afternoon, MY MAKEUP WAS STILL INTACT. I was sweating profusely and kept on wiping my face (gentle pats of course) so I didn't expect foundation to still be on my face six very hot hours after (with no retouches - not even blotting). Same thing happened on Sunday morning (which was a little less hotter day than Friday) when we attended the procession for Easter. With that kind of performance, I would be willing to spend a lot of time in the morning blending foundation into my skin (let me know in the comments section if you have blending techniques to share or maybe a blending brush that's easy to use for a newbie like me).

So there goes my take on the Rimmel London Stay Matte line. Other products will have a hard time outperforming this line since I really loved it, it was cheap and perfect for my oily skin needs. I am currently using this as my everyday makeup although I don't think of it as one of my holy grail products, these are among the best products that I've ever tried.




No comments:

Post a Comment